Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

RADIATION

About a week before we left for Texas, this was my Facebook post...

Nikki Crittenden McCallum- Just when Nathan is starting to feel better, he gets the news that his case is very "interesting". Test results showed he actually had cancer on both sides of his thyroid but, they were strangely two different types of cancer. Radiation is now a must and will begin in early July. Poor guy just can't catch a break with this crap!

Leslie Crittenden- He likes to do it up BIG TIME apparently. Tell him that isn't always the best way! LOVE TO Y'ALL!

Brian Wilson- Tell that guy I'm going to call him soon.

Shelly Andrews Moore- Poor Nate we will be praying for y'all

Kimberly Johnson Strumila- I am so sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out for you guys. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Gena Crittenden- I tried calling, but I did not reach you. So sorry you guys are having to go through this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We love you guys!

Noel Lucky Brucker- It's rarely a great thing to get the honor of being the "interesting" case - So many prayers for a speedy and complication-free recovery

Nikki Crittenden McCallum- Thanks everybody! Y'all are so sweet.

Nathan had a tougher time recovering from the second surgery and also had to start adjusting to his lifelong medication. Radiation was the next step...As if going through two major surgeries in 3 weeks wasn't enough. He actually ended up having to stop taking his meds for nearly 3 weeks so that when radiation started it would go directly to his neck and be able to work more effectively.

So, just a few days after the Fourth of July, Nathan started his radiation treatment. He was absolutely not looking forward to it at all. Yes, it was going to help his body to kill off any remaining cancer cells floating around his neck but, just the fact that his body was going to be radioactive slightly freaked him out.

Needless to say, he got a little emotional before he left as the kids gave him hugs and told him they loved him.
My Facebook post on the morning of...

Nikki Crittenden McCallum- No relaxing weekend ahead for us. Nathan starts radiation today. Soon he'll be home from taking the pill and will be stuck in our bedroom by himself for 3 days. This will not be fun for any of us but, hopefully, this is the last step in clearing the cancer from his body.

Meghan 'Pettit' Crouch- Hope all goes well. Our prayers are with Nathan and you!

Mike Hutto- Let me know how it goes...has he been taking an oral pill??

Natalie Mitchamore- Brett & I were talking & praying for you guys last night. I wish we were there!! Please call me if you need anything.. Or just want to talk. :-) love u guys!

Rachel Keymon Lifsey- Hey if you need the kids to stay the night again this weekend, its no problem, Friday night we are going out but we will be home Saturday if they wanted to come stay then!

Shelly Andrews Moore- Praying for you guys!

Nikki Crittenden McCallum- Thanks everybody...just one more hurdle to get over.

@ Michael, it was two oral pills that came in this huge metal container. I'll post a picture of it.

@ Rachel, call me about tonight's pick up plans that need to change a little...baseball.

Jenna Pecor- Whitehead I love you two...I know I am far away but let me know if I can do anything...

Mike Hutto- What are the pills? A form of radioactive iodine?

Nikki Crittenden McCallum- Yep the pills are radioactive iodine. They should kill any remaining cancer floating around in his neck.

Mike Hutto- May take some hair with it but hopefully not

DeJuana Crittenden- Has he had any nausea or side effects?

Nikki Crittenden McCallum- He feels sick to his stomach and his jaws and throat hurt. And he's really disappointed that he has to miss Cole's first tournament with a new baseball team.

Nikki Crittenden McCallum- Check out the contraption that two average sized radiation pills came in. That's not scary at all to think what's going in your body has to be on lock down inside of a heavy, lead, bulletproof looking thingy.Mike Hutto- Gotta protect the carrier...it is radioactive after all ;-)

Brian Wilson- does it glow?

Leslie Crittenden- ACK! Scareeeeee... How did it make him feel??

Julie Gilmore Harding- Yikes! Has he taken it yet?

Nikki Crittenden McCallum- He took it around 9am Thursday morning. Nothing glows yet, but that would be cool. He feels sick to his stomach and his jaws and throat hurt.

Shelly Andrews Moore- Poor Nate we are thinking about him.

Since Nathan had to be quarantined in our bedroom for 3 days, I slept in Cole's room...Lovely. Luckily, the kids had a sleepover the first night. Actually it was their first sleepover with friends and not family...Yikes! Of course they had a great time while I worried way more than I should have.

I was able to get my make up and clothes on in our bathroom but, I couldn't use the same shower or toilet as Nathan during treatment. He had to take 3-5 showers and day, sit down to pee, and flush the toilet 2-3 times every time he went to the restroom. As you can imagine, he was slightly annoyed with all that. Then add the fact that his jaws, throat, and stomach hurt more and more each day.

To me, he just sort of acted like he had a stomach bug but, I know he was trying hard to not let me know how he was really feeling. I felt awful for him but, I tried to put on a happy face. I didn't want the kids to realize how bad it really was for their daddy so, I tried to keep them busy and out of his hair as much as possible.

Nathan will be tested again in December and will have to do another round of radiation if needed. Hopefully, this was the one and ONLY time for him to go through this. He says it was far worse than recovering from the surgeries. He's so strong and, I'm so proud of him for enduring all of this with little complaints and somehow managing to make it all look easy. I love you, Nathan.

Look at how his incision has healed since the 2nd surgery...AMAZING!

1 comment:

Nathan McCallum said...

Nikki, I love you too. There is no way that I could of got through any of this without you by my side. You are an amazing wife and I am so lucky to have you. Thank you again for everything. :-)