Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

MAY 18th - COLE'S ASSEMBLY

Cole had his awards assembly for the first grade. I didn't think he was at this school long enough to get an award but surprisingly he did. Instead of the awesome straight S for satisfactory status that we had before, he got all A's and one B (grrr...to the teacher for not giving him any leniency on something he never learned before). I won't even go into the ridiculousness of the grading system. Apparently, Texas focuses more on math and science while Tennessee focuses more on reading and writing. Yes, it makes total sense that a child should be able to write perfectly in between useless giant lines instead of knowing how to add and subtract quickly. I'll make sure we complete the one-inch-letter-height-handwriting book over the summer instead of reading or math or thinking or anything else that might benefit my child in the future. Ok, that's all I'm going to say about that. Now for some pretty pictures.

I think Cole got 5 awards in Kindergarten. Honor roll is just about the only award they give out here. I feel so bad that Cole had to miss out on the last part of the year with his wonderful teacher and all his friends in Texas.
It is actually a nice little trophy award thing. I was shocked to see that his actual name was on there, too. Check out the "vintage" desks. They look like they are the original ones from when the school first opened long, long ago.The principal announced at the assembly that we could take our kids home when it was over if we chose to do so. Can you tell Cole was excited about that?In just a couple of short months Brooke will have her back pack on, too....Mommy tears.
Cole ran straight to his video games after lunch and this is what Brooke did. Oh how I wish I could still jump as if my body were weightless the way a child does. I don't even think my feet get an inch off the ground any more.

Cole was suppose to go only three days of school the last week. He went home around noon after the assembly on Monday, went the full day Tuesday and watched movies, and should have had a half day on Wednesday. When I picked him up on Tuesday they asked if he was coming the last day. What? Why wouldn't he? Oh that's right, you don't have to bring them if you don't want to since they already have their report cards and won't be counted absent. Sure, why didn't I think of that all those years ago when I was in school? Right before bed, I decided it would be a waste of time to take him up there for a few hours just to watch movies with a handful of kids. Yes...First week day of sleeping in...Or so I thought.

No comments: