Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Monday, January 25, 2010

DECEMBER 19th- WATER BREAK

We set out for Texas on Friday night around 6:00 pm. Nathan had to work all day so we couldn't leave much earlier than that. We originally planned to leave super early on Saturday morning, but my dad offered to let us use a free hotel night of his that was about to expire. Sweet! He arranged it all and set us up for a quick pit stop in Little Rock, Arkansas. He suggested that I bring the kids' swimsuits because the hotel had a heated pool.

Even though we didn't get to the hotel until about 10:30 pm, we were so tired and grateful to get to break up the trip. Nathan was hoping we could avoid swimming and just get going after breakfast. We soon realized that it was unavoidable since our room was literally 5 steps from the pool. There was no way the kids would let us skip it then. The only problem with that was that the pool didn't open until 10:00 am. I never look forward to long road trips, but Nathan just wants to get it over with as quickly as possible. I sent Nathan out on a hunt for a new video cable for the portable dvd player. We didn't realize it was broken until the kids tried to watch a movie in the car. They definitely didn't like having to share one screen. I took the kids to the pool the minute it opened while Nathan was occupied. They both stuck their feet in and guaranteed me that it wasn't cold.
I should have known better. Of course they're going to say it isn't cold because they don't care and just want to go swimming so badly. But I was fooled for a while since the water didn't seem to bother them at all. They were jumping, splashing, and having so much fun. About 20 minutes later I noticed Cole shaking every time he got out of the water to go jump in again.I thought he was playing it up a little because he tends to be over dramatic at times. Plus, Brooke wasn't shivering at all. They didn't want to get out and continued going in and out. Then it seemed like Cole's coloring didn't look quite right. Granted, he's very pale, but it still made me wonder. I put down the camera to feel the water and OH...MY...GOSH!!! The water was sooooo cold. I couldn't believe they were swimming in it. Maybe that's why no one else was down there. But they just cleaned it, unlocked the gate, and had towels sitting out. I'm hoping that I'm not that bad of a parent and they just forgot to crank the heat up in the water. They did have fun swimming on a rare winter day though.


After the kids both had long, hot showers to revive their bones, we rushed to get ready before Nathan got back. Of course, we were too slow. By the time we were ready the kids were hungry for lunch, and I figured we might as well eat before driving an hour just to have to stop for food. As usual, I put us behind but after a couple more stops for my bladder, we finally made it into good 'ole Texas.


Time for the fun and frustration that goes along with all the hustle and bustle of Christmas and trying to share time with as many Texas family and friends as possible.

No comments: