Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

HALLOWEEN

Well, well, well...What can I say about Halloween? I just don't really care for it. And neither does my husband. I don't see why it is so wrong for us to have our own opinions about it. I don't like scary movies or the darkness where something or someone can jump out at me. I'm on edge enough in the dark because I can't see my hand in front of my face without my contacts or glasses. So, if you try to jump out and startle me I'm probably going to scream and I might even punch you. And then I'll be freaked out for a while and not happy with you to say the least.

Besides all that, I just feel like it is rude to walk up to a stanger's door and expect them to give you candy. I would rather just spend the money on tons of candy myself than on a costume that gets worn once. Nathan doesn't really even like candy and never has so he really thinks Halloween is just plain stupid. He didn't care if we did anything at all, but he went along with my idea to buy a bunch of candy to hide around the house for the kids to find. And if the doorbell rang, then we already had some to hand out...Even though he wanted the porch light off. Cole was just fine with this idea because he just wants candy. However, Brooke didn't quite understand it.

Well, I should have known it was going to be a full moon on Halloween night with the threats I got about not taking the kids trick or treating. And you know who you are. You couldn't just leave well enough alone and let Nathan and I skip the Halloween traditions. You had to voice your opinins through phone calls and text messages and make me feel guilty. And I hate it when people make me feel guilty because it generally always works.

Then, my beautiful daughter says she wants to go ring doorbells, bats her pretty little eyes, and flashes a smile. Alright, alright! Oh my...She is just so beautiful!
I say we'll go to a few houses on our street and then come right back. We wait about an hour after it gets dark and no one, not one person comes to the door. I check outside real quick and every house as far as I can see has their porch light off. You mean to tell me that our neighbors didn't care about Halloween either? Grrr...So I decide to go to a nicer, nearby neighborhood. Nathan tags along but refuses to get out of the car and does the creepy drive by thing. I know she was secretly thinking...Sucker! How could I say no to such a sweet face?Cole wore this outfit that was his cousin Christopher's actual dirt bike gear years ago. He said he was the motocross superstar Travis Pastrana. Nobody knew who that was and would ask if he was some Nascar driver. Brooke was a bonnareena. It doesn't matter if you say ballerina...She still says bonnareena.
Look...They are standing in front of a stranger's door waiting.And they got their candy...You happy now people?!This guy had Guitar Hero set up in his front yard. He didn't want to stop playing to hand out candy so, he would just tell the kids to take whatever they wanted from the bucket. I have to admit...It was pretty cool. Brooke wanted to keep going even though it was 45 degrees, and we were all cold. I had no idea it was that cold and felt bad that I didn't dress her warmer. Cole was ready to go long before she was but I think it was because his head was starting to tip over from the very heavy helmet. One last picture at the end of trick or treating. Cheese!
Here is the actual video evidence to prove that the kids went door to door.




Mmmmm chocolate...I absolutely adore you. That's my girl!

I think Cole has already downed about four pixie sticks at this point. Great.

Brooke was saying that this candy is what Grandma had when she took her to the movies one time. Grandma is known for her serious love of Twizzlers. Yes, we are so proud.

I think all in all it was a Happy Halloween...At least for the kids.

Now if somebody would just get this sweet, yummy, irresistible candy away from me...

4 comments:

Aunt Leslie -- the one who made you feel guilty said...

Thank you for making your children's childhood complete and accurate. LOVE IT. Everyone is still alive. The moon wasnt FULL, but just about. Perfect Halloween night. We went Halloweening from 3in the afternoon to 9 at night. Glad Brooke stuck up for herself!

Nikki McCallum said...

I know you like Halloween so I'm glad that me taking them made you VERY happy.

Anonymous said...

This post is so classic Nikki:) I love Halloween, but I understand why you wouldn't. Don't let 'em bully you! :)

Nikki McCallum said...

Only a handful of lucky FUMC folks who have endured countless road trip hours with me understand the classic Nikki. Thanks, Janie!