Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

REMEMBER ROASTING???

Lately, I have been trying to cook on the grill on my own. Nathan doesn't really care to mess with the grill so I either try to do it when he is out of town or when he is at karate with Cole. That way he can't talk me out of it. Usually it's either hamburgers or pork chops...I gotta start with the basics for now. I grew up with my dad always grilling really good food and that's just what I want.

Soooo...If you want something done, sometimes you just have to do it yourself. I kind of like it but I know it really annoys Nathan. He does have to cook out a lot at work for the employees as a reward for good safety and stuff, so maybe he just associates grilling with work and would rather not do it at home. Or maybe he just really dislikes it. I don't know.

One day I mentioned to the kids that it would be fun to roast marshmallows over the fire on the grill. They were excited about the idea so we secretly waited until Nathan went out of town. That way he wouldn't complain about it and the kids could just have fun with it all.


You can tell that Brooke was super excited. I think she had been smelling the marshmallows and got some of the powder on her nose.

Cole and Brooke thought it was so cool to see the marshmallows catch on fire. And now time to eat those yummy roasted marshmallows.

Well, they weren't quite as I remembered. Brooke wouldn't touch the burnt part. She doesn't like anything burnt looking on her food. Cole took a bite and thought it was good until he realized that the marshmallow was all gooey inside. He just about started gagging trying not to swallow it. He ran to spit it out and Brooke wasn't about to take a bite after Cole's dramatic display. I decided to prove to them that they are good and quickly realized that I was wrong. What happened? I know I ruin a lot of food when I cook, but I know I didn't mess up roasting marshmallows...Did I?

Maybe it was the campfire in the woods and the whole ambiance that made them taste better when I was younger. Even though it was a bust, I think they had fun doing it. I'm sure if they would've been smothered in chocolate for smores they would've tasted much better. After all, chocolate makes everything better!!

2 comments:

Brooklynn said...

They are both so cute Nikki!

Nikki McCallum said...

Thanks Brooke! Does their "cuteness" make you want some of your own?