Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

NOVEMBER 7th- GIDDY UP RAMBO

This is the day that Brooke finally got to get those horse riding lessons that she's been asking for since June. We made the mistake of telling her she could have lessons before we actually secured a place that would provide them. Oops. The equestrian center that looked awesome on their website went into hibernation or something. They wouldn't answer any of their numbers or return calls or emails. Nathan and I even drove out there one day and they had the gates locked where you couldn't even drive in to the facility. That was a serious waste of 45 minutes. Nathan asked people at work and no one knew anyone that had horses. What the heck?! How can that be since we practically live in the country here?

At this point we would have been happy for Brooke to just be able to feed or look at any random horse. Well, a few weeks ago at Brooke's parent/teacher conference I mentioned our situation with the horses to her teacher and she said she would look into it for me. The very next day she sent me an email with a name and phone number! Turns out she approached one of the first grade teachers that had a bunch of horses and a teenage daughter and pitched the idea of lessons to her. They thought it would be a great idea, too. Karley (the teenager) needed company with the horses and a little extra money, the horses needed exercise, and Brooke needed something special just for her to do. After a couple of phone calls, we set up the informal lessons (basically just brushing and sitting on the horse). It didn't really even matter what they did.


Oh my goodness, Brooke was over the moon with excitement.
We drove about 20 minutes to get there and the closer we got the more suspect the area became. Uhhh...I hope this is still a good idea. All of a sudden we turned into their long drive lined with beautiful trees that led to a sweet country house surrounded by nature. I could spend hours out there taking pictures and trying to capture all of the beautiful scenery. They have so much land and it is all just so peaceful in a strange country-like way.

The sun was so stinking bright that it was hard to get those crystal clear pictures. But that didn't stop me. I only took 100 photos/videos trying to capture theses sweet moments. I'd say that's not too bad. :)What was that loud noise? Oh, just a shotgun. It happen to be opening day for deer season, and much to our surprise, you can shoot anything anywhere here. What?! That's just not right. In fact, Karley's dad is a taxidermist...Yikes! He was actually in Illinois hunting because he thinks the many deer that come on their land are too small. Oh my...I'm so glad Nathan doesn't care for hunting.

Brooke said she was a horse whisperer. It wouldn't surprise me. She is fairly shy to most people but has a special love for animals. She will talk or sing to a dog or a horse with no worries at all.

The male brown horse is Eli and the female white horse is Sugar. Sugar is actually pregnant right now. Matter of fact, they said she gets pregnant about once a year and that 4 of the other horses are their productions. Geez...Poor Sugar. Here's Rambo. He is one of the only horses there that doesn't mind giving rides.
Brooke was standing on the other side of Rambo, and all I could see were her little pink boots. So cute. And they're off! To a slow walk, that is. Evidently, slow is Rambo's favorite speed.


I don't know what all they were talking about, but I think Karley got an earful. When they would round the corner by us they would both smile and get real quiet.On top of a horse with the wind in her hair...Pure happiness.
Finally, Cole was having to watch Brooke do something. She has sat through so many basketball and karate things already that he is due his share of watching and waiting. I'm sure the amount she'll endure throughout her childhood will far outweigh the amount he will. I know this because I speak from experience as a little sister of older brothers...It's just the way it is.
I lost count how many times they went around in a giant circle, but Brooke was so happy the entire time. It was simply adorable. She didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

Jenna @ Sharing My Jennarocity said...

Nikki, you have such a beautiful girl. I can't believe how big she is getting. You know she is the age we were when we met? That's insane. She is gorgeous and looks completely at home on top of that horse.

Nikki McCallum said...

Thanks, Jenna! She is quite pretty if I do say so myself. It's hard to believe she is already 6 years old.