Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A SPLITTING HEAD ACHE

So, I haven't even been at my new job for 2 weeks yet and I see the kids' school calling on my cell phone. I quietly answer thinking it was just going to be a recording or that one of the kids forgot their lunch or something. I was beyond wrong.

ME: Hello???

LADY: Hi, is this Brooke's mom?

ME: Yes it is.

LADY: This is the school nurse and I'm going to need you to come pick up Brooke.

ME: Is she ok???

LADY: Well, she was in the gym and a basketball goal fell on her head.

ME: WHAT?!?!

LADY: She's not crying right now but she's going to need stitches (as said in the sweetest most calm voice).

ME: (Jumping into panic mode) WHAAAAAATTT?!?!?!?!?! Are you kidding ME???

LADY: Yes, and the goal also hit her leg and she couldn't walk so you probably need to get it x-rayed to make sure it isn't broken. Oh, and someone will need to keep pressure on her head.

ME: Say whaaaattttt?!?!?!?!

I called Nathan on his cell phone from mine, which I rarely ever do while he's at work because he's really not supposed to have his phone on him due to safety protocal. He said he knew something was up just by me calling instead of texting. I barely finished telling him what happened when he cut me off and said he was on his way to the school. Thank goodness his work is only about 5 minutes away. Mine, on the other hand, is more like 25 minutes away.

It was the P.E. teacher's second day at the school. Poor guy. He's maybe 23 and Nathan said he was white as a ghost. He picked up Brooke and just ran with her to the nurse with blood pouring out of her head...Which is why the nurse thought she couldn't walk. Nathan said he saw her teacher before he saw Brooke and she told him to brace himself. They had just gotten it all cleaned up but he still saw all the bloody towels sitting there. Yikes!

I tell the girls in the office what happened and that I didn't want to look bad for leaving but, they demanded I leave right then and they would tell the lawyers. I tore out of there and drove like 90 the whole way. I'm about half way to the emergency care clinic when I get this picture on my phone from Nathan.
OMG!!!!!! That is what happens when a portable basketball goal with no water/sand/bricks or anything weighing it down is pushed over by some little terds that won't friggin' sit still. Grrrr!!!

Brooke started crying the second she saw me walk in the room. Awww my baby girl...She stayed in my lap the whole time. I grabbed a few toys from the car to distract her...Which was good...Thank you, mommy intuition. I held this numbing medicine on her boo boo for quite a while before they came to put in the staples. Yep, staples. The doctor said that way she wouldn't have to get painful shots in her head and, they would be easier to put in and take out because of her hair.We had her put ear phones in and listen to Justin Bieber songs in hopes that she wouldn't hear the clacking of the stapler. It was so quick that she didn't even have time to cry. She just said, "Ow, ow, ow...It hurts."Aside from seeing my daughter's head split open, the worst part was that we couldn't get the wound wet for about 5 days. Yea, that was not fun. Brooke did not enjoy this AT ALL. Brooke wanted to go back to school the very next morning because she said she didn't get to finish a Christmas project that they were working on. So she did. So many of the school's staff checked on her that whole next day. Most everyone already knows who she is and says how cute she is because of her bows but, now she's even more of a familiar face. The P.E. teacher called me at work and apologized repeatedly for the whole incident. I know it wasn't his fault but, it still sucks that it happened. It would be nice if the principal would at least inform the parents of the kids who did it...And they see the pictures of what their brat kid did to mine.

Oh, well. She was flopping around and jumping on the trampoline within a couple of days. We just had to constantly remind Cole to be careful when throwing a ball. Ohhh, boys and their balls...How they drive me insane!

One week later...
Brooke asked if she could take her bear and hold it while she was getting her staples out. Well, of course! She loves that stanky, old thing. She was excited to get to pick where we ate for dinner, too.
We were all smiles waiting for those staples to come out because it was really freaky seeing something that generally holds paper together shining from my child's head all week long.
Pop, pop, pop! And just like that those staples were out...Quick and easy. She said she didn't even feel it.
Look at how nicely it has healed up. Her hair has a weird hump going on now since the hair isn't growing in there. It's to the left of her natural part but hopefully it won't be that noticeable the older she gets.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Wow, what an ordeal!! I would be beside myself!!