Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Friday, May 14, 2010

FAMILY VISITORS

Nathan's parents and nephew came in town the weekend before his surgery. It was also the very same weekend of the torrential rains, so our Saturday plans were wiped out. They were pretty disappointed that they drove all the way from Texas and didn't get to see Cole's baseball game or watch Brooke ride horses, but they managed to find something else to do (and their little dog, too).
A little game of Monopoly with a 6 and 8 year old is always loads of fun....Not to mention a 14 year old that was practically forced to join in.
Nana also had a birthday during her visit, so I attempted to make it special for her by whipping up a cake. I didn't want to make a big cake that I would end up eating entirely too much of like I did on Cole's birthday, so I kept it small and sweet. However, I didn't take into account that taking the same amount of cake mix that you would use for a large pan and pouring it into a smaller pan might not turn out well.
After a little nip/tuck the cake turned out decent enough. French vanilla with cream cheese icing...Yum! Nana was actually very touched that I even made her a cake because she said she hadn't had a birthday cake in about 25 years. Say whaaaaaat?!
Even though I wish their reason for visiting us here for the first time would have been purely for pleasure, it was a good distraction from Nathan's surgery for the kids. And Christopher did a really good job of entertaining them even with his chronic texting addiction.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

You really have a knack for decorating cakes...and taking pics...you must have the artsy gene AND the athletic gene...NO FAIR!!!!

Nikki McCallum said...

Haha! I pretend like I'm good at the artsy stuff because I really enjoy it, but sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth. And ummm...HELLO...You just ran a triathlon!!!