Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Friday, March 26, 2010

ONE YEAR HERE

A few days ago marked one year since we moved far away from all we've ever known in Texas and entered into the unknown territory of Tennessee. The relocation was sudden and all happened very quickly, but the opportunities outweighed the sacrifice of leaving those we love, as well as, a house we loved.

We went from this...

To this...
Serious downgrade! Mostly because we lost 500 sq ft of wonderful space and an awesome 3 car garage. It's much harder to deal with than I originally thought it would be, but there is a serious plus side to a smaller house...Less money. Our rent alone is $500 less, not to mention the utility bills that have pretty much been cut in half. Score! I'm grateful that the pressure has been lightened dramatically, but we all really, really, REALLY miss our old house.

The main reason we relocated so many miles away was to further Nathan in his career that he's worked very hard on for the last 10 years, but taking a time out from the often overwhelming expectations of others has been an added bonus in terms of mental recuperation. And, in a way, that's exactly what I was hoping for.There's not much to do here, and it's frustrating missing out on birthdays, holidays, and other special moments (and others missing out what our kids do), but I think we really are closer as a family and do many more significant things together than ever before. And, yes, it would definitely be nice to have a break and go on dates with my husband, but we knew what we were getting into. The kids had to sacrifice far more than we did by being ripped away from their grandparents and cousins that they love so much, but I hope one day they will truly understand and appreciate why we did it.
I've been accused of being a hermit, but I'm fine. I really am. Of course, I miss the social interaction with friends and family, but I really haven't been much of a social butterfly since Brooke was born anyway. I have a husband that loves me dearly and is my very best friend. And that's ultimately all I need. I admit that it would be nice to have some girls to hang out with, but that's not the reason we moved here. Besides, it makes our visits back to Texas with our loved ones that much more special.
Friends will come and go but family is FOREVER. And the friends that love you like family won't let distance or time phase your relationship. They will always be there in the end.

No comments: