Mostly just picture posts for the unforeseeable future. Blah but it'll have to do. Sorry, Texas.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

JANUARY 8th- IT HAPPENED

Well, it happened. I really didn't want to blog about it but since I outed Nathan on his 30th birthday, I suppose it's only fair that I mention mine. Technically, it's just another day and nothing to make a big fuss about. It's not like you go from 29 one day and 30 the next day and instantly feel old. It just sounds really old. I don't mind being 30, I just feel defeated when I say it out loud. Even more so when my son says, "Man, 30 is OLD!!!"

Of course, it was inevitable that it would happen and I would no longer be able to crack on Nathan for being 30, but I wanted to remain in my 20's for as long as possible. However, my loving mom had other plans. I know it was only because we were in Texas and she wanted to take advantage of my whole family being together, but forcing me to celebrate increasing the first digit in my age 15 days EARLY was seriously a low blow. And on Christmas Eve. I saw the cake earlier that day but chose to ignore the obvious that was staring me in the face. I really hoped it was for dessert since everyone was coming over to eat dinner and open Christmas presents.

After all of the Christmas action was completed, my mom announced that it was time to do birthday stuff. Wonderful.
The extra candles were for my dad since his birthday is just a few days after Christmas. We've done a joint party for a while now. I know he was especially excited about the pretty pink cake.
At least the birthday attention was over and done with quickly. We left Texas and I figured the birthday surprises were complete. Boy, was I wrong. The day before and the actual day of my birthday were full of surprises....And not in a good way like you would think.

Thursday, January 7th...
Surprise #1: School was closed for a snow storm that didn't even happen
Surprise #2: Colt McCoy was injured very early in the game and wouldn't return
Surprise #3: The Longhorns lost the game that they probably would've won with Colt

Friday, January 8th...
Surprise #4: School was closed again for a snow storm that still didn't happen
Surprise #5: I was awakened by discomfort in the wee hours of the 8th with lovely pain that could only be a kidney stone. It's not possible to sleep or do much moving around with that. You just have to deal with it and wait it out. And because school was closed, the kids were at home and I couldn't even rest in bed all day like I so desperately wanted.We weren't able to watch the National Championship football game at home because we still don't have ABC (grrr!). We ended up at Chili's amongst several Alabama fools. Those people were so stinking annoying! The bartender was the only other person there cheering for the Longhorns. We continued to hope for a miraculous win until the last couple minutes of the game. You could feel the joyous stares from the crimson tide fans burning a hole in our backs as we shamefully walked out. Not cool.I think maybe I was so sickened by the injury of Colt McCoy and the Texas Longhorns losing the championship that my insides went haywire on me. All of which were just awful.

The highlight of my actual birthday day was all of the birthday wishes from friends and family. And the fact that Nathan left work a couple of hours early so I could get some rest and relief from the kids. That was seriously awesome. Here's hoping next year will be much better!

No comments: